How do I clean my badge?
Your video guide to cleaning and shining your badge properly.
Here at Smith & Warren, we understand the importance of maintaining your badge's finish and appearance. We are often asked, “How do I clean my badge?” This guide will help you clean your badge properly and avoid causing damage to your badge’s finish.
How to Clean Your Badge:
Method 1: Non-Abrasive Surface Cleaner (e.g., Windex):
Using a non-abrasive surface cleaner like Windex is an effective way to clean your badge without damaging the finish. Follow these simple steps:
- Spray the cleaner onto your badge. Target the area you want to clean.
- Allow the cleaner to sit on the badge for 10-30 seconds, allowing it to penetrate and lift dirt or grime.
- Gently wipe the badge dry using a microfiber or soft cloth. Repeat as necessary until the dirt/grime is removed and the shine of your badge is restored.
Method 2: Warm Water and Gentle Dish Soap:
An alternative method for badge cleaning involves using warm water and soft soap. Here's how to proceed:
- Gently wash your badge under running warm water.
- Apply a small amount of soft soap to the badge's surface and continue to wash gently.
- Once the badge is clean, dry it thoroughly using a soft cloth or microfiber towel.
What Not to Do:
Avoid using abrasive or harsh cleaning agents on your badge, as they can severely damage the surface finish and any protective lacquer coatings. Common products to steer clear of include jewelry polish, polishing compounds, Brasso, Simichrome, toothpaste, or any cleaner with abrasive properties.
In addition, never try to polish your badge. If your badge is not shiny, then it is probably just dirty and needs to be cleaned. Polishing your badge with an abrasive is ineffective and will destroy the finish and degrade the badge. Scratches will happen due to normal wear and tear. While you can clean your badge of dirt/grime, you should never try to remove scratches. This should be done professionally by an experienced metal finisher who can also restore the finish after polishing out the scratches as part of a refurbishment.
Can I get my badge refurbished?
If you are interested in refurbishing your Smith & Warren badge to “like new” condition, contact us for more information on this service.
Can I clean my Collar Brass the same way?
Yes! Either one of our recommended cleaning methods will clean and wash your collar brass. And just like your badge, avoid using abrasive or harsh cleaning agents on your collar brass.